Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Friday, May 6, 2011

sweet moments...

Despite a VERY crazy first year teaching Kindergarten, this week has been great! You are probably thinking...oh some of her kids must not have been there this week...well...no...all 20 of my babies were there but something was different. Maybe it was my perspective...maybe it was God giving me the patience I so desperately need each moment. It was hectic but enjoyable! Our main project this week was Mother's day!! I had 2 activities planned...first this cute idea I found online...I have to say ours turned out even cuter!
We also cut our hearts to give them to our mom's. I told them to put ALL their love into their heart for their mom so they hugged their hearts....kissed them then neatly neatly wrapped them. It was cute to see 5 year olds trying to wrap a box! :) Here's the precious poem we sent with our box....

This is a very special gift,


That you can never see.


The reason it's so special,


It's just for you from me.

Whenever you are lonely,


Or ever feeling blue,


You only have to hold this gift


And know I think of you.

You never can unwrap it.


Please leave the ribbon tied.


Just hold the box close to your heart,


It's filled with LOVE inside.



























The Lord is teaching me so much this year and I am SO thankful for my neighbor teacher Amber. We actually interviewed on the same day and were both waiting for our interview so we made a little small talk. She was so friendly and nice...had only been teaching a year in Memphis City. That day I prayed and prayed the Lord would give me the job he had for me...the next day I got the call that they wanted me!! HALLELUJAH!!!
I didn't know the events that would take place as our numbers began to pile in and my "plan for 16-17' turned into plan for 20-22. Granted there isn't a massive difference between the numbers but when it comes to Kindergarteners adding one or two extra makes HUGE impact. As my numbers in my classroom grow so did Amber's. We finally arrived at school at the beginning of August and Amber was right across the hall from me. She is such a STRONG believer. Her faith inspires me daily as we chit-chat every morning as our kiddos pile in for the day. God knew...even on that day in June...that I would need someone strong to encourage and sympathize with me as with both fight the same battles at school and celebrate the same joys when that last friend finally learns how to tie their shoes. ;)
This week we have been talking about trusting the Lord. We were both waiting to hear if we would be re-hired...things around school have been tense and rumors have been flying of people being let go. Amber reminded me that God was in control...I know that, but sometimes you just need to be reminded...."Iron sharpens iron". So today when I was called to the office for my summative conference my heart didn't sink...although my hands did get a little sweaty. This was the meeting that would determine my next year with Shelby County....she read my facts and figures and handed me my copy...my eyes scanned to the bottom category FUTURE EMPLOYMENT: Continue Employment! WOOHOO I wanted to say...however one of our main categories is professionalism and I didn't think that would get me a top score so I just smiled and thanked her.

I continue to learn new things but through one of my morning chats with Amber, God revealed that if things at school weren't so difficult I would be a lot less likely to seek his face moment by moment. I work in a low-income school with over 1100 students who come from very different backgrounds. If things at school were hunky-dorey...and I had the ideal classroom (as if there is one), why would I beg for his strength, patience, protection, and wisdom. I could rely on my own strength...I've been trained...I know what I'm doing. But God knew I needed to be in a place that made me DESPERATE for each breathe and strength to make it through another day. Even though the road hasn't been smooth God has been faithful! Isn't he always! :)
I have 3 more weeks and my first year of teaching will be over! Thank you Lord for my job this year and EVERY experience good and bad that you have brought me through!

2 comments:

Mrs. W said...

Ashley,
Thank you so much for sharing your heart! I'm so glad God blessed you with a believer across the hall! The Lord has and will continue to use you in the lives of those students.
By the way, that poem is absolutely adorable. I just might steal is for next year!

l cummins said...

Those little babies are going to miss you! I am so proud of your hard work and dedication to them.

Andersen visited "big school" with her class last week. She was so excited about getting to eat in the cafeteria!

We hope to see you soon :)